Castor oil is a popular laxative. But recently, it’s being used in cosmetics and hair care. Although the research to back it up is still limited, plenty of people have noticed it helps to maintain healthy skin.
Castor oil is extracted from RicinusCommunis seeds. The ricin is removed before the oil is processed.
Although it is natural, castor oil can irritate the skin in some people. It can also irritate the eyes, so make sure to avoid the eye area when you’re applying the oil.
Castor Oil Benefits
- Helps prevent acne- Extracts from castor seeds have anti-proliferative and antibacterial properties that inhibit acne-causing bacteria.
- Reduces fungal infections- It can prevent the growth of Candida albicans, which causes nail fungus, oral infections, diaper rash, and more.
- It can moisturize skin-Although there is no scientific proof, it is believed that castor oil has moisturizing properties.
- Helps to soothe sunburn due to its moisturizing properties.
Before Using Castor Oil, do the following:
- Do a patch test first to see if you’ll have an allergic reaction to it.
- If you have skin issues, allergies, or are pregnant or lactating, it might be best to consult with a dermatologist or physician first.
- Always check the label and only buy from reputable sources.
How to Use Castor Oil:
You can use castor oil as your makeup remover or you can use it as a base for your homemade lip balm.
Although castor oil has a lot of benefits, there’s still not enough medical research to back up the claims. Always be cautious when trying it for the first time.