Sweat helps our body regulate heat and remove toxins from the body. Surprisingly, sweating can also lead to hair loss. Even though sweating gets rid of toxins from the body, too much sweating can be harmful to your scalp and hair.
But how exactly does sweat cause hair loss? Some studies suggest that the lactic acid from our sweat can damage keratin from our hair. On the other hand, some studies suggest that unhygienic conditions are the reason behind sweat and hair loss. This is because the sweat glands that produce sweat mix with bacteria on the scalp leading to fungal infections.
How to prevent Hair Loss Through Sweating
Luckily, it is still possible to sweat without losing hair. Here, we’ll share a few best practices to do so you can avoid hair loss from excessive sweating.
- Wash hair regularly during hot and humid weather. Also, wash your hair after exercise.
- Avoid tight hairstyles. This can prevent sweat from evaporating.
- Massage your scalp with oil and brush your hair if you can for blood circulation and to remove dirt.
- Exercise regularly and aim for a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Avoid caffeine, excessive sweets, fast foods, and fried food.